We kicked off the year in style at Waldemere on January 15, 2020 during our Chapter's Community Service Sew Along
We made dog beds, neck scarfs and bags to donate to the Charlotte County Humane Society. Many brought their sewing machines and equipment and enjoyed a day of sewing for homeless Animals. Those without machine, helped to cut and iron fabrics.
Check out what our Neighborhood Groups and
members are doing in 2020.
In 2019 we sewed 527 needed item for 20 different charities. Our 113 members reported donating 5960 hours In community service sewing. We were very thankful to recieve fabric and notions from 17 local donars.
In 2018 our Chapter Members reported nearly 4,000 hours crocheting newborn hats, sewing baby blankets, children's clothing, totes, quilts, clothing protectors and Christmas stockings.
ORGANIZATIONS THAT BENEFITED FROM DONATIONS in 2018
Oak Park School Clothing Protectors
Bibs for Oak Park Kids
Big Kid yardage needed- try to use kid friendly material
1-yard main fabric- front and back -100 % cotton
1-yard cotton flannel- hidden layer- makes 4 inner layers
2-3-inch piece Velcro fastener
Fabric listed will yield two Big Kid bibs. ½ inch seam allowance is included.
Adult size bib
1-yard main fabric- makes one bib
1-yard cotton flannel-hidden layer makes two inner layers
3-inch piece Velcro fastener
Sewing Instructions- ½ inch seam allowance
1. Cut out pattern pieces: Cut one front, one hidden layer and one backing piece and one neck piece for each.
2. Using ½ inch seam, sew the neck piece to each of the front, back and flannel pieces. Finger press seam open.
3. Layer the front right side up, next the back, right side down and the flannel on top.
4. Pin the layers together. Stitch all the way around, leaving a 3-inch opening in the bottom for turning.
4. Trim seam allowances around each curve to a scant ¼ inch before turning.
5. Turn through the opening. Push all the curves and corners out neatly and press.
6. Top stich all the way around at ¼ inch.
7. Center the soft piece of Velcro on the neck piece about an inch from the end. Sew around twice. Sew the rough piece of Velcro on the rounded portion of the bib. Center about 1” down. Stitch around twice. The neck of the Big kids Bib should be about 4-1/2” straight across. The Adult size should be about 7 ½”.
CHRISTMAS STOCKINGS FOR DEPLOYED TROOPS
We sewed up 274 stockings for military in service in 2018!
Our members made Wish Pillows for "Give Kids the World" at the Gulf Gate Library in 2017. We brought sewing machines, fabric and notions and the project came together under the guidance of Paulette Braga.
Give Kids The World is an experience that takes many words to express. The brave parents and their amazing children share more joy in a day than most people experience in a life time by ensuring that every venue, activity and villa fully accommodates all of our precious guests. From The Park of Dreams pool to The Garden of Hope pathways, everything at our whimsical Village is wheelchair accessible. ASG members are sewing up these sweet wish pillows and praying that all of their wishes could come true.
Our Chapter sponsored a Community Service 2016 Chapter Charity Sew Along at the Selby Library in Sarasota in August by sewing Rare Bears for kids!
Member's of Sew Whats New met at the Fruitville Library each month to sew up KiDZQuilts for children surviving disasters. Our Venice members worked with a residential facility in Englewood to sew up Little Dresses for Africa and piece together quilts for Project Linus during February/March.
Each of our Neighborhood Groups also sewed for local area charities.
For the year 2016 our Chapter Members reported over 1500 hours, 824 items sewn and donated nearly $500 dollars to complete community service projects.
In 2015 our Chapter Members reported 3,250 hours donated, 942 sewn items donated and $293 donated out of pocket for materials.